If you are alarmed by the politics played in Washington on your dime, you’re not alone! Concerned Americans wonder how much debt we can take on as a nation before we experience run-away inflation and serious devaluation of the dollar. Simply put, any person who saved money in the bank for retirement is watching the value of that savings decline rapidly. There’s no safe savings account that can keep up with inflation so your hard earned money buys you less and less. Here’s the deal, politicians and federal reserve board members are absolutely to blame for it. Ignoring this fact is costing you money and your freedom. So what can be done about it?
The first step is making sure your representatives (the President, your U.S. Senators and Member of the House of Representatives, and/or your Governor and State Legislators), know that you are tired of their agendas that put your interests and freedom at risk! In short, you must have a system in place that helps you communicate with them at the right time, on relevant issues with just enough other people in their actual districts to get their attention! But no matter who else participates, it starts with you sending one simple message at a time. This can be done in just a few minutes a month, but it must be done.
Here’s what we suggest you do to be most effective when you do send them a message:
- 1Have a clear goal in mind before you call, write, email, fax, or even visit their office in person to persuade them to vote yes or no on a bill before it becomes law. Be upfront about where you stand on the issue. The first sentence should say, I am asking you to vote against or for Senate Bill # _____ or state the name of the bill (i.e. the CARES Act or Equality for All Act or the general concern like anything that will raise our debt, etc.). If you wrote nothing else, this would be sufficient, although a couple compelling reasons why you feel that way can help.
*It’s important to note that your opinion, because not many communicate, is considered to represent hundreds of other silent voices in your community because not many communicate. Yours is a weighted response.
- 2Focus on your elected officials - If you are not in the district of the person you are writing, elected officials will largely ignore you. They don’t care about people outside of their district. Therefore, it’s important to put a signature on it or the electronic equivalent by including your address and phone number. Many offices will attempt to verify if you are actually in their district.
- 3Be a Registered Voter - Let them know you are registered to vote. If you feel strongly about the issue add that as an influential person in their district, you will vote against them and encourage others to do the same if they vote opposite of what you are requesting.
- 4Know where your officials stand - Request that you would like to know their position and thoughts on the issues you are writing them about. Requesting that they give this to you is important. You should especially communicate even when they don’t agree with you.
- 5Check their voting record - See if they really voted the way they said they would. Consider it a spot check like checking up on one of your children to see if they are actually keeping their room clean like they promised. Without the check up, they won’t feel any need to really do it.
- 6Consider thanking them from time to time - If you start writing once a month or more, the office will get to know you.
- 7Enlist the help of others in your district - This one is critical. To really move your elected officials on issues that might go against their party, you need strength in numbers. This is what our FreedomSHIFT movement is all about. Gathering a large enough group of people who love freedom and empowering them with a tool that will help them stay vigilant without it becoming too time consuming.
If you are serious about completing any goal in your life, a plan and a coach or system will help you get it done. Protecting freedom should be one of our highest priorities in life, but just like exercise or eating healthy, it’s not usually the default activity of choice. Without a plan, we fall into behaviors that don’t benefit us. You may be like me and detest politics and the news, but I don’t really like spinach either, but I’ve found ways to include it in my diet to contribute to a healthier body. In other words, protecting freedom has to be prioritized and once it is, we might as well follow best practices to maximize our results. Here’s to demanding politicians truly defend the rights of We The People!